What makes a
good great website? This is a question that we hear from every single client, no matter what the business or the scope of the website project is. We decided to compile a list of the 10 most important things any brand should have on their website and why.
- Appearance: Make your website clean and professional. This is typically the first handshake that you have with your potential customer. Make the appearance of the site evoke who you are as a brand, starting with the homepage and continuing throughout the entire site.
- Functionality: Make it easy for your customers to get to what they want. Stick to the 3 click rule which means users will be able to find the exact information they are looking for within three clicks.
- Content: Your users are looking for information that will help them make a decision. Your content has to have substance, be informative and relevant and also stay consistent with your brand voice.
- Navigation: Make it easy for your users to get around. Remember the 3 click rule on this one. Users want information quickly; think headlines and bullet points.
- Images: Have purpose when choosing what images you want on your website. Like any other component of the site, make sure the images enhance user experience, increase conversions and help with communicating your brand.
- Load Time: Moz.com says that Google has indicated that site speed is one of the signals used by its algorithm to rank pages. Page speed is also important for user experience. Pages with longer load time have higher bounce rates.
- Search Engine Optimization: First, find a developer that knows what they are doing. Duh, right? Then stick to these simple rules:
- Integrate social media into your site.
- Don’t overuse flash.
- Place keywords in different areas of your site.
- Optimize your images as well.
- Responsive: Your site must work across all devices! No one should develop a site that isn’t responsive. Start here though to find out if your current site is responsive: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/
- Social Media Integration: Make sure to promote your presence across all social media platforms, or at least the ones that speak to your target audience. Social media is or should be a crucial part of your marketing strategy.
- Color: Color evokes many emotions – use it on your website! Stick to your brand but make the user experience enjoyable. What are the various meanings of color and do those colors make the appearance of the brand clean and professional?